Becoming a Midwife
Assisting at Homebirths/Basic Skills $150
This is perfect for beginner assistants and/or doulas desiring to assist homebirth families.
- Home vs. Hospital Births... What is different?
- Labor Support for Homebirth Families
- Birth Worker Etiquette/Advocacy
- Equipment Recognition and Setup
- Recognizing Complications
- Basic Skills
- Universal Precautions
Managing Birth Complications $300
Learn how to recognize, prevent and treat the following complications:
- Maternal Exhaustion
- Fetal Distress
- Maternal Shock
- Cord Prolapse
- Shoulder Dystocia
- Placental Abruption
- Uterine Rupture
- Amniotic Fluid Embolism
- Postpartum Hemorrhage
- Uterine Inversion
- Neonatal Distress
- Retained Placenta
We will be following the NARM Skills Assessment Guidelines. 6 week series.
Breath of Life Midwifery is accepting applications for temporary, part-time work study positions/internships. Each selected candidate will participate in a non-paid position for a 60 day cycle. During this time, the intern will act as part of the team, assisting with day to day needs while learning skills and building experience. Births are NOT guaranteed, but are possible. Please look over the expectations, responsibilities, and benefits below. If you are interested, follow the link to fill out an application.
Benefits of Work Study:
- Build relationships within the birth community.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Experience.
- Signatures for NARM PEP Program.
- Discounted and FREE Workshops.
- Assistance with Resume & Portfolio Development.
- Carrying Heavy Equipment
- Preparing Food
- Running Errands
- Taking Pictures
- Assisting with Billing
- Special Projects
- Participation in Events
- Current training as a doula or birth assistant.
- Basic clinical skills.
- Some college background.
Work Study Requirements:
- 1yr experience and 10 Births as a doula or birth assistant.
- 24 Hour On Call Schedule
- 24 Hour Childcare Arrangements (occasionally bringing a baby to appointments with advance permission may be considered)
- Driver's License
- Dependable Transportation
- Ability to Pass a Background Check & Drug Test
- High School Diploma/GED
- Trustworthy, Respectful, & Humble Character
- Eagerness to Learn and an Open Mind
- Ability to Bend, Squat, Walk, Run, Climb Stairs, Lift Heavy Objects, etc.
- Supportive Husband, Partner, or Family
- Prenatal Appointments
- Postpartum Appointments
- Childbirth Classes
- Teaching Workshops
- Study Groups
- Peer Reviews